Bachelor of Laws (University of Papua New Guinea)
Admitted to practice as a lawyer in Papua New Guinea in 2019
Luke is in his third year of practice and has been working with Leahy Lewin Lowing Sullivan Lawyers since May 2019. Luke initially worked with the commercial and corporate department. Luke is presently working with the Partners and lawyers in the firm's commercial litigation department.
Areas of Experience
Luke has assisted the Partners and lawyers in the area of commercial, corporate and commercial litigation.
Luke's practice in litigation includes:
- Conduct recovery actions and liquidation proceedings in the National Court
- Dealing with landownership disputes and appearing at all levels of Land Court
- Obtaining Letters of Administration in National Court
- Conduct Judicial Review proceedings at the National Court
- Assisted Partners and overseas counsels and solicitors with the Commission of Inquiry into Union Bank of Switzerland loan and related transactions
- Dealing with criminal matters at Summary Courts, Committal Court and Traffic Courts
- Obtain court bails at Committal Court and National Court
- Preparing Bill of Costs
- Conduct negotiation, mediation and out of court settlements
- Conduct trials at National Court
- Deal with interlocutory applications
- Dealing with Supreme Court matters and appear at Supreme Court.
- Dealing with Company Board of Directors issues, Director’s duties, shareholders issues and shares issues in the National Court.
- Assisting partners in dealing with Arbitration matters.
- Dealing with Insurance claims
Luke's practice in commercial includes:
- drafting Memoranda of Understanding, Deeds of Trust, Credit Applications and Deeds of Guarantee
- providing corporate services for the firm's corporate clients
- incorporating various legal entities in Papua New Guinea
- preparation and filing of annual returns for local companies under the Companies Act 1997
- conveyances of property
- providing general advice on land matters
- Member, Law Society of Papua New Guinea