Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- Professional Year, qualifying for admission to the Institute as a Chartered Accountant.
University of New South Wales - 1984 - 1987
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Finance and Information Systems).
Areas of Experience
Brad Hawkins Consulting (PNG) Ltd (Sydney and Port Moresby) (BHC) February 2003 – present
- Established BHC in February 2003 to provide specialist PNG accounting, income tax and advisory services to a wide range of PNG clients, specialising in the PNG oil and gas sector. BHC provides high quality services to clients in PNG who do not necessarily need the services of a Big 4 accounting firm.
Oil Search Limited (Sydney) - 1995-2003 - Head of Tax
- Reporting to the CFO and CEO, with overall responsibility for the group’s income tax matters, international tax planning opportunities, and corporate and joint venture insurance program for the third largest oil and gas company listed on the ASX, with annual revenue in excess of A$ 500 million and with interests in Australia, Papua New Guinea and the Middle East.
- Lead role in PNG Petroleum Industry Tax Workgroup, charged with lobbying various PNG Government Departments (PNG Treasury, Internal Revenue Commission, and the PNG Department of Petroleum) on fiscal and commercial matters in relation to the PNG petroleum industry. Regularly required to give presentations on behalf of the Petroleum Tax Workgroup to various joint venture meetings and senior government representatives.
- One of two industry representatives involved with establishing policy on the fiscal arrangements surrounding unitised petroleum projects in PNG, and involved with the drafting of associated income tax legislation to give effect to that policy.
- Key role on behalf of the industry in finalising the fiscal provisions of the PNG Gas Agreement, being the agreement that governed the proposed A$6.5 billion PNG – Queensland natural gas pipeline.
- Key relationship with the group’s General Counsel with regard to income tax, stamp duty, and legal implications of proposed PNG contracts, assisting in the negotiation of contracts and commercial agreements.
- Primary role in determining the most tax efficient and stamp duty effective structure for the A$632 million merger between Oil Search Limited and Orogen Minerals Limited in February 2002.
- Worked closely with key PNG Treasury officers in negotiating significant terms of the GST legislation that was implemented in PNG in 2000.
- Managed the company’s PNG GST implementation project so as to ensure a smooth transition, including adaptation of existing accounting systems to encompass GST.
- Oversaw the company’s GST implementation project for its Australian operations.
- Overall responsibility for placement and maintenance of the group’s insurance program and assisted in establishing and maintaining the group’s Risk Register.
- Liaison with the Central Bank of Papua New Guinea with regard to the group’s PNG statutory reporting requirements.
Independent Consultant (Port Moresby) - 1991-1995
- Established small accounting practice in Port Moresby to provide tax and accounting functions, with a specialisation in resources tax.
- Major clients included Oil Search Limited (PNG’s largest company and the 20th largest company listed on the ASX), Shell Oil Company and a number of other local companies.
- Functions for Oil Search included the Tax Manager and Group Accountant’s role, involving company secretarial, commercial negotiations, engaging external counsel and PNG office management.
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (Port Moresby) - 1989-1991
- Client Supervisor with overall responsibility for accounting functions for a range of medium sized resources clients.
- Oversaw PNG income tax issues associated with larger clients, predominantly multi-national organisations with branches in Papua New Guinea
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (Sydney) -1985-1989
- Accountant within the “Small to Medium Enterprises Division” in the Sydney office, gaining hands-on experience across a range of SME clients.
- 30 years’ - International tax, commercial and accounting experience in Australia, and in-country in Papua New Guinea. Key financial and income tax roles within both the PNG petroleum industry and the accounting profession.
- Intimate working knowledge of the Income Tax 1959, Oil and Gas Act 1998, Unconventional Hydrocarbons Act 2015, and all other associated legislation.
- Oil Search representative responsible for negotiating with the State in respect of its acquisition of equity in both the Kutubu and Gobe oil projects. Responsible for Oil Search’s Accumulated Liability for the Kutubu project.
- Key role in advising on PNG Unconventional Hydrocarbons Act 2015, under instruction from the then Minister for Petroleum and Energy, Hon. Nixon Duban, and advising on the PNG Unconventional Hydrocarbons Regulations, under instruction from then Minister for Petroleum and Energy, Hon. Ben Micah.
- Close ongoing relationship with PNG IRC. Assisted drafting changes to the PNG Tax Act that were necessary to enable the efficient and appropriate taxing of unitised resource projects in PNG – specifically required for the Gobe project.
- Attending to ongoing accounting and tax compliance roles for a wide range of in-country PNG clients.
- Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- Member of Papua New Guinea Certified Practising Accountants
- Registered Papua New Guinea Tax Agent
- Registered Australian BAS Agent
- Represented PNG in the 1995 South Pacific Games in Tahiti (Triathlon)
- Represented PNG in the 1991 and 1993 Arafura Games in Darwin (Triathlon)