Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland, 1981
Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Queensland, 1983
Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology, 1997
Supreme Court of Queensland (1986)
High Court of Australia (1996)
John has practised extensively in Australia and Papua New Guinea and various parts of South East Asia during his 34 years of legal practice.
John is an experienced commercial lawyer, company secretary and legal practice manager. Experienced in aviation, mining, projects, financing, procurement and general corporate and commercial law in private and in-house.
John’s experience is in the area of corporate and commercial.
John has been involved in a significant number of major energy and resources, banking, infrastructure, construction and corporate transactions including drafting project agreements and related documentation, project finance, privatisation and corporatisation, joint ventures and advising institutional and private clients, investors, contractors and the PNG Government.
John has worked on various transactions including:
- Negotiating and documenting aircraft purchase, lease finance and maintenance agreements for new aircraft type for the airline
- Other aircraft sale, purchase, leasing and financing, procurement and major services contracts
- Recapitalisation of the company – share buy-back shares issues, shareholder entitlement offers, employee share scheme
- General commercial matters, negotiations with authorities and financiers
- Company secretarial matters for listed company – disclosure and compliance, stock exchange releases, reports, preparation board agendas, minutes and papers, shareholder liaison
- Incoming foreign investment, power and mining projects, IPO of state electricity generator, general commercial and corporate advice
- Due diligence and negotiations for a start-up mining project in Laos
- Contract work for Ok Tedi Mining Limited in PNG, developing standard documents and preparing agreement with various suppliers to the company
- Due diligence and opinions regarding resources project financing and listed company acquisitions. Project management of services to mining clients. Secondment: Hong Kong (Aug to Oct 2007) and Anglo Coal Australia Legal Department (Nov 2007 to Jul 2008)
- Legal advice to foreign investors, regarding structuring and distribution, commercial and licensing agreements
- Legal and tax advice to foreign investors in hydropower, mining and plantation projects, and to aid funded NGO’s regarding state-owned banks, government shareholding in commercial projects, procurement and development of commercial laws
- Advising mining and IT industry clients and government instrumentalities on commercial corporate and regulatory matters, capital raising and tax advice
- Capital raising, general tax structuring and trust advice, stamp duty and GST advice, general commercial advice, advice to government and semi-government authorities
- Incoming foreign investment (licensing, JVs, IP protection, commercial agreements), capital markets (for local companies seeking foreign equity or debt finance) and infrastructure projects
- Property development, grazing and farming clients, general commercial law, tax and stamp duty
- Member, Queensland Law Society Inc
- Member, Law Society of Papua New Guinea