Bachelor of Laws (University of Papua New Guinea)
Admitted to practise as a lawyer in Papua New Guinea in 2016
Areas of Experience
Marjorie has assisted the Partners and lawyers in the following areas:
- Acting as lawyer for the National Airports Corporation in relation to developing the template for commercial leases and agreements to lease.
- Advice on taxation matters relating to charitable and/or religious institutions.
- Advice on insurance matters relating to foreign insurance companies setting up business in PNG.
- Advice to foreign companies interested in carrying on business in PNG.
- Preparation of a board manual for a company.
- Preparation of forms and documentation required under the Companies Act 1997 for the amalgamation of companies, company incorporation, updating company details, transfer of shares, etc.
- Preparation and filing of deregistration documents required in the process of removal of companies from the PNG register of registered companies as required under the Companies Act 1997.
- Preparation and filing of annual returns for local companies under the Companies Act 1997.
- Preparation of applications for foreign certification by foreign owned entities under the Investment Promotion Act 1992.
- Carrying out due diligence for the acquisition of PNG oil and gas companies.
- Acting as lawyer for the Government of Japan for the sale of the former residence of the Japanese Ambassador to PNG.
- General commercial advisory
Prior to joining the firm, Marjorie worked with PricewaterhouseCoopers PNG under its graduate program as a Graduate Tax Consultant. Her responsibilities included:
- Assisting in preparation of responses to IRC demand notices.
- Assisting in preparing tax clearance applications and covering letters to the IRC.
- Assisting in preparing tax exemption and GST zero rating application letters to the IRC for charitable/religious institutions.
- Reviewing assessment/remittance notices for GST, SWT, BIPT and Income Tax assessments to clients.
- Assisting in preparation of simple income tax returns (nil payable tax return).
- Assisting in preparing Credit Transfer forms.
- Assisting in preparation of SWT returns from client provided information.
- Assisting in preparation of GST returns from client provided information.
- Assisting with in house tax account summaries for clients.
- Research and preparation of advice on technical tax issues.
- Assisting to prepare company annual returns for local and foreign companies.
- Assisting in preparation of company six monthly reports.
- Shadow payroll processing using payroll software, Attache’.
- Assisting in preparing payroll calculations.
- Assisting in preparing calculation of tax components on termination pay.
Marjorie is in her fifth year of practise and has been working with Leahy Lewin Lowing Sullivan Lawyers since March 2018.
- Member, Law Society of Papua New Guinea
- Member, Papua New Guinea Women Lawyers Association